Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jay Stringer's Next Thing




1) What is the working title of your next book?
Why, thank you for asking. I assume, of course, you're asking me about RUNAWAY TOWN, which is due from Thomas & Mercer on March 26th? Well, it's working title was, "this second book needs a title." But then I listened to a Replacements song, as I do whenever I'm stuck, and it all came together.
2) Where did the idea come from?
I've still got four months to think of all the really good lies, so for now I'll say it came from the need for the Miller trilogy to have a second act, and because of a mix of social issues I wanted to write about and crime fiction habits that bugged me. 

3) What genre does your book fall under?
It's crime. It's also a mystery, and a modern urban tale. Interestingly though, I wrote this before I found out what everyone else already knew -that Pluto was no longer a planet- so this book is set in a solar system with nine planets. So it's also science fiction.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in
a movie rendition?
What, you want me to read the book to you, too? No, sorry, I expect my readers to do some of the work themselves. Pick your own cast.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Gangland Detective Eoin Miller has been keeping out of the game, working on recovering from a knife attack and avoiding his addictions, but he gets pulled back in by an explosive new case.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Can agented authors not self pub? Sorry. Being a dick comes so naturally to me. The book is proudly represented by Stacia Decker and the Donald Maass Literary Agency, and published by Thomas & Mercer. I may have put the 'proudly' bit in myself.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft?
Seven or Eight months.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Kindly reviewers have compared my previous Miller book to Lawrence Block and George Pelecanos. But I think I should leave comparisons to other people, because I only have my own book in mind when I'm writing. I will say it's both similar too, and a departure from, Old Gold. 

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
That's one of those things I've not got a good enough answer for yet.

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
Howsabout the longer pitch; Still recovering from the physical and mental scars of Old Gold, gangland detective Eoin Miller has been staying out of the game. When local crime boss Veronica Gaines comes to him with a new case, talking of a rapist targeting the vulnerable immigrant community, Miller's Romani blood won't say 'no'. Miller's attempts to find the attacker lead him into a moral maze of betrayal, corruption, racism and revenge. Is there a difference between punishment and justice? Who decides? When figures from his past step back into his life, with questions of loyalty and family ties, he has to fight to keep his life from falling apart under the weight of his obligations. 

Or I could tease you with the fact that I've just written the final chapter of the Miller trilogy. I know how it ends and you don't, nananananana.

No comments: